11:02 am CST - February 06, 2013
Posted under The Scoop
Texas Insider Report: AUSTIN, Texas – Ken Mercer, a Member of the State Board of Education (SBOE), an Eagle Scout and a former State Representative, joined an initial group of state elected officials who have released the following open letter to the Boy Scouts of America to “strongly encourage the Boy Scouts of America to stick with their decades of support for family values and moral principles.”
As state elected officials, we strongly encourage the Boy Scouts of America to stick with their decades of support for family values and moral principles. Capitulating to the liberal social agenda not only undermines the very principles of scouting, but sets the stage for the erosion of an organization that has defined the American experience for generations of young men.
Scouts begin each meeting with an Oath, “to do my duty, to God and my country, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.” By caving in to pressure from the social left, the national leadership would violate each of those principles.
Worse still, the contemplated national policy would throw to the wolves chartering organizations and scout troops that choose to stick with scouting’s historic and legally protected policy. Left to defend themselves from legal attacks, we fear many churches and other entities will choose to simply abandon scouting altogether – it will be the safer course, and one hastening the organization’s eventual collapse.
Rest assured that while adopting this ill-considered and wrongly devised policy might earn temporary kudos, you can never do enough to appease those who want to see the scouts robbed of their moral authority.
We urge you to be morally and physically strong. We urge you to protect all that scouting has been, and all that it can remain.
- Texas Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples
- Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson
- State Board of Education Member Ken Mercer (R-San Antonio)
- State Senator Brian Birdwell (R-Granbury)
- State Senator Kelly Hancock (R-Fort Worth)
- State Senator Dan Patrick (R-Houston)
- State Senator Ken Paxton (R-McKinney)
- State Senator Larry Taylor (R-Friendswood)
- State Representative Cecil Bell Jr. (R-Magnolia)
- State Representative Dwayne Bohac (R-Houston)
- State Representative Giovanni Capriglione (R-Southlake)
- State Representative Pat Fallon (R-Frisco)
- State Representative Dan Flynn (R-Canton)
- State Representative James Frank (R-Wichita Falls)
- State Representative Bryan Hughes (R-Mineola)
- State Representative Phil King (R-Weatherford)
- State Representative Stephanie Klick (R-Fort Worth)
- State Representative Matt Krause (R-Ft. Worth)
- State Representative Jodie Laubenberg (R-Parker)
- State Representative Jeff Leach (R-Plano)
- State Representative Rob Orr (R-Burleson)
- State Representative Tan Parker (R-Flower Mound)
- State Representative Scott Sanford (R-McKinney)
- State Representative Matt Schaefer (R-Tyler)
- State Representative Ron Simmons (R-Carrollton)
- State Representative David Simpson (R-Longview)
- State Representative Drew Springer (R-Muenster)
- State Representative Van Taylor (R-Plano)
- State Representative Steve Toth (R-The Woodlands)
- State Representative Scott Turner (R-Frisco)
- State Representative James White (R-Woodville)
- State Representative Bill Zedler (R-Arlington)
- Collin Country Commissioner Pct 3 Chris Hill (BSA Circle Ten Lone Star District Chairman)
- Collin Country Judge Keith Self
Action Steps from TxValues.org:
1. Make plans to attend the Save Our Scouts Rally on Wednesday. ”Like” the Save Our Scouts FB page and RSVP for the Rally. We need you to share this page with your family, friends, and church and invite them to RSVP for the Rally.
2. Here is a list of key board members and their phone numbers. Call their offices and ask for them by name. If they are not available, please leave a message that you want them to vote against any policy change that would allow homosexuals to serve with boys.
3. Contact Wayne Brock, Chief Boy Scouts Executive, via our Action Center to send him a message.